Friday, April 1, 2011

Modern misguided morality

I recently watched a short movie with my middle school youth group. The movie was called Most and was a European film done in Czech with English subtitles. If you ever have the opportunity I recommend seeing it. You can catch the shortened version on YouTube, it is The Bridge. It is about a man who works on a railroad drawbridge and one day his son convinces him to take him with him to work. Unfortunately a train fails to stop when the bridge is open for a boat. The son tries to pull the emergency release lever on the bridge because his dad doesn’t see the train coming. Unfortunately he slips and falls down into the machinery that runs the bridge. The dad sees the train and sees his son fall into the bridge. He knows if he closes the bridge to the train can go over, he will crush his son. If he leaves it up everyone on the train will die. He chooses to sacrifice his son in order to save everyone on the train. The point of the movie is to show how everyone on the train is from different walks of life. You have joyful college students, abandoned boyfriends, drug addicts, elderly people, and young children. All of humanity is represented. The Father sacrificed his Son to save everyone. After we watched the movie I did an explanation and then began to answer questions. However, one of the predominate questions and attitudes was one that completely blindsided me. I expected anger and frustration that the little boy had to die in order to save everyone on the train. What I didn’t expect was the hostility towards some of the trains passengers, at least not the passengers I expected. Far and above the most hated group on the train was the happy go lucky college students who were having a smoke and enjoying each others company. Not the drug users, prostitutes, or soldiers but the smokers. “How could he have killed his son to save a smoker” someone asked. “Smokers all deserve to die anyway. They are killing themselves and us already” said another. I was floored. I guessed I missed the point in our culture where smoking suddenly became a sin so grievous and unnatural that it put one beyond the salvation of God, or somehow made one less of a person. Someone that deserved to die. I am not trying to enter the debate on whether smoking is good or bad, right or wrong (I don’t think most people would care for my thoughts on that anyway) but simply that we have made it a cultural sin of momentous proportions. How we can hate tobacco this much and want to legalize marijuana is beyond me or logic. On the flip side I am constantly saddened by how many people support abortion. Why does our culture present something that is merely unhealthy as worse than something that kills one innocent human being and mentally scars another for life, resulting in higher rates of depression and suicide? When middle school students think that smokers deserve to die and go to Hell, while abortion deserves to be protected as a basic human right I think we have serious problems in our schools. This Christmas pray for the conversion of these souls. Pray for the light of Christ in their lives. “A nation that kills its own children is a nation without hope.” ~ Mother Theresa

No comments:

Post a Comment